Vehicle Inventory Management (VIM) systems assist dealers in improving the performance of their used vehicle department by better managing the vehicle inventory. Here are some questions to ask VIM vendors prior to purchasing their products and services.
1. What is a VIM system?
A VIM system is a computer program that assists you in managing your used vehicle inventory.
2. How can VIM software benefit my business?
A VIM system can improve the used vehicle operation with a current “view” of vehicle inventory, sales history, and local market inventory and sales. It can provide information to aid in making informed, cost-effective decisions for all vehicle acquisitions.
3. What features are offered with VIM software?
- Appraisal system with retail vs. wholesale recommendations
- Use the store’s sales history to select used vehicle inventory
- Evaluate local market metrics
- Provide VIN decoding for vehicle descriptions
- Real-Time reporting for accurate vehicle status
- Daily synchronization with DMS
- Create and manage Internet listings (eBay)
- Unlimited photos for each vehicle
- Single system to manage multiple stores
- Create vehicle “brochures”
- Create window stickers
- Automated inventory updates to dealer web site
- Meet compliance requirements
4. How much does the software cost?
Prices vary with the features you choose.
5. How can I find vendors who sell VIM software?
Go to www.nada.org/Technology/VIMVendors .
6. How will dealership employees use the system?
Look for a system that is intuitive and allows your staff to quickly complete tasks. Management must reinforce the importance of always referencing the inventory and sales history information when evaluating any used vehicle trade or purchase at auction.
7. Will I need a special printer and paper to create window stickers?
Require vendors to demonstrate the window sticker printing process.
8. Do I need special paper to print payment coupons for my Buy Here/Pay Here customers?
Require vendors to demonstrate their ability to produce coupon booklets similar to those that accompany the customer’s periodic payments.
9. How easy is it to add and replace vehicle photos?
Test the ability of dealership staff to add and replace vehicle photos in the VIM and link the revisions with the dealership web site.